Do you have a forever cheesecake? A recipe that you know you’ll never stop making, one that you have adapted a dozen different ways, and every time it’s perfect? A cheesecake that makes everyone ask for the recipe?
I first made this cheesecake, or deconstructed cheesecake, three years ago, and I haven’t looked at another recipe since. I’ve changed a few things from the original, due to availability, seasonality, and ease. The original recipe calls for a mixture of mascarpone and cream cheese, plums instead of berries, black sesame seeds in the crumble, and a drizzle of orange infused olive oil. I sometimes make the recipe as it is written, but when I can’t, the ‘easy’ version is just as delicious!
Because each component is prepared separately this cake can be served a number of ways, scooped into a bowl, layered in a trifle bowl, in mason jars etc. The filling could also be served in a pie shell or crumb crust, with fresh fruit on top.
E loves it because it’s fun to make and because she can eat each part separately, no need for the different parts to touch each other!
Adapted From: Set “Cheesecake” with Plum Compote in Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi
Prep Time: 40 minutes + 2 hours to set
750 g Cream Cheese
1/2 -3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup whipping cream
Zest of 1 lemon
- Whip cream until soft peaks from, transfer to a large bowl and set aside
- Using a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, and lemon zest until smooth. Works best if cream cheese is brought to room temperature
- Fold whipped cream into cream cheese 1/3 at a time. Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours to set
1/2 cup whole grain flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375C
- Using hands or a food processor, mix butter, flour, sugar, and salt until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Stir in hazelnuts
- Spread mixture in a thin layer over a baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, crumble when cool
1 lb mixed berries
2 tablespoons suagr
Juice of i lemon
- Combine ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes
Once each component is ready, assemble the cheesecake as desired!