I grew up hearing that bananas are natures perfect food.
But I really hate bananas.
The only way I can bring myself to eat one is if I have absolutely nothing else, and even then I eat only the barely ripe, least flavourful bananas.
Luckily ripe bananas are the perfect sweetener for baking. I make these banana yogurt bread squares with 5 bananas and no additional sugar or sweetener. Each square contains 1/3 of a banana. To increase the sweetness, 1/2 cup of chocolate chips can be added with the flour.
5 ripe bananas
1 tsp cinnamon plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter a 9×9 pan and line bottom with parchment paper (a loaf pan would work equally well)
- Mash the bananas with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Stir in melted butter, eggs, and yogurt
- Fold in flour, baking soda, and baking powder
- Pour batter into greased pan and dust the top with cinnamon (Optional: Top batter with 1 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 1/8 cup rolled oats)
- Bake in the middle of the oven for thirty minutes (If using a loaf pan baking time will be 50-60 minutes)
- Makes 16 squares or slices