I’m not generally a fan of hiding vegetables in food, it’s much better to learn to love veggies as they are; but sometimes the green thing hidden in the treat improves rather than detracts from the flavours. This is definitely true of zucchini. While I can enjoy this vegetable in a fritter or a pasta sauce, sweet bread is where zucchini really shines. The fact that kids will eat it is a bonus.
If you grow zucchini (or you know someone who does) then you have too much zucchini. Use some of it in this zucchini loaf loaded with healthy ingredients like olive oil, walnuts, and dark chocolate.
Time: 15 minutes Active 65 minutes total
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
11 oz flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking sofa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 and butter and flour two loaf pans approximately 9x4x4 inches
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer whip three eggs until fluffy and doubled in size
3. In a separate bowl mix together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
4. Mix sugar, vanilla, oil, and sour cream into eggs
5. Using a spatula fold zucchini into egg mixture.
6. Using a spatula fold dry ingredients into egg mixture
7. Stir 3/4 chopped walnuts and/or 3/4 chocolate chips into batter and pour into prepared pans OR Divide batter between two pans and stir nuts into one and chocolate into the other
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes
9. Cool in pan for five minutes and invert onto cooling rack