It has been a long, wet, grey winter on the west coast, and as the tail end of winter stretches into infinity I’ve been baking lemon cakes, hoping their bright burst of citrus would chase the winter away; and because the winter has me craving sweets.
While dreaming of cupcakes, I began to wonder if it was possible to make a sugar free icing. After a little thought and a little research, I decided to try something with my last bag of frozen blueberries. The results were beautiful, rich, and delicious. It didn’t provide the same sugar rush as buttercream, but the lovely colours and floral honey scent made me forget the grey skies and endless rain, for a while at least.
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup cream cheese
1-2 tablespoons local organic honey
1. Purée blueberries
2. Stir cornstarch into blueberry purée
3. Heat blueberry mixture until it bubbles and thickens then set aside to cool
4. Whip cream cheese until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes)
5. Add honey to blueberry mixture
6. Fold cool blueberry mixture into cream cheese and chill until ready to serve