Can something that contains no sugar really be called a cookie?
But since these are shaped like cookies, and I’ve successfully tricked a toddler into accepting them as such, cookies they will be called.
Sliced Apple dipped in almond butter is a great snack, and only takes about thirty seconds to prepare, but who has thirty seconds? I don’t. So having a few of these in the fridge or freezer ready to go is awesome.
Each cookie contains one tablespoon of almond butter, 1/2 teaspoon of chia seeds, and 1/6 of an apple. I use wholewheat flour, but a gluten free alternative would work just as well.
These cookies get all of their sweetness from the apples, but for a sweeter cookie a few tablespoons of maple syrup or brown sugar is enough. Cinnamon is also a great addition!
2 medium Gala Apples
2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
3/4 cup Almond Butter
1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Finely grate apples into a bowl, don’t lose any of the juice
- Mix in Chia seeds
- Mix in almond butter and egg
- Mix in maple syrup or sugar (optional)
- Mix in flour, and baking powder
- Mix in cinnamon (optional)
- Drop batter onto parchment paper and shape into 12 discs to ensure even baking
- Bake for 10-12 minutes